Monday, June 7, 2010

Tomatoes, Brassicaceae, Garlic

I was busy with work and also we have been waiting for the temperatures to warm up. We transplanted tomatoes, in the raised beds and planted marigolds in between them. The cabbages and cauliflowers are growing inspite being eaten by the snails and slugs. Every time there was a shower I went out to pick the snails & slugs which can eat all the leaves in one night. I had more cabbage saplings so I planted in front of the house between other taller plants. This would shield them from the direct sunlight. The Red Russian Garlic which we planted in the fall is doing great. I have to check the bulb formation - maybe I'll pull up one sometime next week as the shoots are over two feet high.

 Today we harvested Romaine Lettuce which was outgrowing the planter box. There's more coming up in the second planter box and also in the raised beds but I plan to sow more for a continuous supply.

4 comments:

  1. your tomatoes look big and tall, what varieties are you growing this year? garlic looks impressive, I have never tried growing... maybe this winter. Do you think temps have warmed enough to plant remaining summer crop outside in our area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tomato varieties I am growing are - Roma, Brandywine, Beefsteak, Sasha's Pride, Bonnie Best and a cherry tomato on the patio. All the tomatoes haven't been transplanted yet. The next two days is cooler so I would wait. But look for night time temperatures to be above 10 deg C to transplant. Also I covered them with umbrella greenhouses for a few days to minimize transplant shock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tired of waiting for good weather, I transplanted all my tomatoes (only 5 plants) yesterday. I have a baby tomato on Beverlodge, I did not dare it transplant. Maybe, it'll grow inside the house in container :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the transplants! You need to fertilize now to avoid transplant shock. You could use kelp or blood meal. We have been having good weather for the past few days. I have some more tomato transplants to be done.

    ReplyDelete