Monday, July 19, 2010

Garlic & Potatoes

Yesterday while I was laying the drip pipeline a little potato plant was in the way. More curious to see the potato development than work around it, I pulled out the potato plant and dug out four medium sized Red Russet Potatoes.


Today evening I harvested the Red Russian Garlic (from West Coast Seeds) which we planted last fall. I am more than satisfied with the harvest. Except for a few bulbs most of them were more than 3" in diameter. My wife braided them together and hung it in the patio to air dry it. For this fall we plan to prepare a bed beside the fence and sow more of them.



There's more Garlic which I plan to harvest in a couple of weeks. I think this fall we might try a few more varieties of Garlic and more in quantity.

2 comments:

  1. WOW, these are some great looking red potatoes. Your garlic is way impressive, when do you sow garlic cloves for summer harvest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fall - around October/November. They need to grow a few roots before being hit by frost which is good for them.

    ReplyDelete